Friday, March 2, 2012

A New Hat











"Anyways I shall pull it to pieces as soon as we get home, and see if I can't make it up any better"~Lydia Bennet (1995)



Val from "Time Traveling in Costume" has created a new facebook page Called "Costume Pattern Reviews" This has been an excellent resource so far! It's chock full of people just waiting to give you advise, and they are using patterns from the smaller companies as well as "The big three" (Simplicity, Butterick, McCalls)


Anyways, to get an invite, simply request one from Val, there's a link on the Facebook page.
So what does this have to do with a hat?


Well a lot actually. I've been in a quandary for a long time trying to get my hands on a 1910's Downton Abbey style hat at any kind of a reasonable price. So I asked over there if anyone knew of any. Bot did I ever get an answer!! Link after link! Patterns AND ready made. They reccomended This one, a ready made from a millinery shop. It was exactly what I had been looking for... or so I thought...
When it arrived this is what it looked like.

No exaggerating. This is exactly how it fit.
The look on my dad's face was hilarious when he saw me "Pull it to pieces" :D
I took the brim off and shortened the hat by a good two inches, and the brim nearly the same. I made the brim uneven to give it a bit of that wild teens flair. But something still wasn't right. So I pulled one side up and tacked it in place. I think it looks really good, though maybe not perfect. Any advise on what else it needs? Thanks!!

Well what do you think?
Much love
Meggie

Ps. Please ignore the cornmeal in my coat, it has since been beaten and brushed within an inch of it's life....

0 comments: