Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Lady of the Hillside Manor

Ah! The day you've all been waiting for!


We arose Sunday Morning to a delightful cover of fog, though it didn't reach the ground. We packed our things and had breakfast at the inn. These were our last moments there. Nearly as soon as we had eaten we said goodbye to the squire and to our new friends and headed off down the road.

As we drove we watched the sun slowly burn off the fog. It was going to be a beautiful day! When we turned into the Biltmore exit I put in my "Anne" Soundtrack. For background. It was perfect.

We stopped at the visitor's center to get our tickets and saw that they had menus and prices for every one of their restaurants. This was when we discovered TEA! We thought about it and realized that since we had spent all day Saturday with Aunt Sally, and she had payed for our meals, we saved enough to have Afternoon Tea at The inn on Biltmore!!!

And so with the Anne of Green Gables Music Playing steadily in our ear we passed through the second gate And drove toward the parking lot. We were then loaded onto a bus that took us right to the front door.

Parking lot C2

on the bus

We immediately toured the house, taking the audio tour. The new rooms were amazing! They included the fourth floor, maids rooms and observatory, and the room Cornelia, the daughter, was born in. That room was my absolute favorite! It was decorated entirely in Maroon and off white. And against the far wall, there were a few steps down to a bench that looked out a window over the front lawn and Esplanade. They were covered in beautiful scalloped Curtains. I couldn't help but be stunned!

After our tour we went into the stable gift shop. As promised I got mom the newest Biltmore cookbook, (Which I'm enjoying just as much!) A Picture guide to Biltmore, some postcards, and a Mini book on table etiquette.

Trying on hats, I loved this one! but it was way too expensive!
While in the stables we mad reservations for tea, for 2:45. Lady Weaver bought a print of the most accurate sketch of Biltmore and it just so happened that the guy who'd drawn it was signing copies out in the entry. He was 14 in 1993 when he started it. He was a very nice guy and his name seems to have slipped my mind. I'm sure Lady Weaver could tell you. :D

From there we walked out of the stable, across the house and down into the gardens. We had a mini photo shoot of our dresses. :D (Enjoy!)

No sooner had we walked into the greenhouse and ask the time did we turn and run. It was 3:00. Weaver nearly had a heart attack! She was so stressed because we didn't read the clock on the stable right! (It could've been dead and we just didn't know it... I had just figured if nothing else, they'd keep that running)

We were late and we did have to wait 15 minutes for a table, but that was only so we could have a choice of tables. We chose...

Well I think I'll wait 'till next time to tell you about tea, that way I can go into detail.

The last roses of Summer


Ashley Nicole said...

Oh, it looks like you had lots of fun! I like what you did to the dresses. I can't wait to read about the tea.

Avonlea_dreamer said...

Thanks! I love them too! They're soooo comfy!

Ashley Nicole said...

I hope you don't mind that I linked to this post on my blog. :) If you want me to take it down, just let me know. :)